The power of touch to soothe and heal is instinctive. If a baby cries, for example, we may cuddle them or rub their back. Massaging your baby is an extension of this natural impulse. By incorporating baby massage into your day, you create a special time that allows you to communicate with your baby and pick up on baby’s verbal and non-verbal cues. This enhances the process of bonding with your baby on a physical and emotional level and can be especially valuable for fathers, particularly when baby is being breastfed, as it allows them time to bond and gain confidence in the handling and caring of their newborn infant.
Benefits of baby massage
- It is a great way of strengthening your bond with your baby.
- It can help you become more confident with handling your baby and better at recognising her needs.
- Baby massage is also a great way for partners, grandparents and siblings to bond with the newest addition to the family.
- Your baby’s muscles relax, breathing becomes deeper and the oil nourishes your baby’s skin. Skin stimulation also provides a vital trigger to the nervous system.
- It can also provide relief – massaging your baby’s tummy, for example, can help ease colic, constipation or trapped wind.
- Massaging raises levels of the ‘feel-good’ hormone oxytocin in both you and your baby, helping you both feel calmer and relaxed helping to promote relaxation and sleep
- Massaging the gums through the skin may ease the pain of teething
- A gentle face massage can help unblock a blocked nose.
- Massage can alleviate the effects of postnatal depression and help a mother have a more positive interaction with their baby.
Price for a block
The course runs for 5 weeks and is £45 for the block.
For the classes you will require to bring a change of nappy and a feed for your baby; babies can become hungry after massage so it is better to be prepared! I provide organic baby massage oil, mats, towels, a laminated baby massage guide and refreshments.
To book or for further enquiries, please contact:
Anne: email@example.com or calling on 07811 073 202.